The Halachic Organ Donor Society meets all of the Better Business Bureau’s 20 Standards for Charity Accountability.
There are 6 ways to make a tax-deductible charitable donation
to the Halachic Organ Donor Society 501(c)(3) (EIN: 13-4199797):
1. CREDIT CARD
2. PAYPAL; for international donors using PayPal please use PAYPAL GIVING FUND.
3. CHECK: Make the check out to the “Halachic Organ Donor Society” & mail check to
HOD Society, P.O. Box 693, New York, NY 10108-0693.
4. WIRE TRANSFER: Contact email@example.com for information.
5. STOCK DONATION: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
6. UK DONATIONS TO HODS should be made using these instructions.
“A few months ago, my beautiful 60-year-old wife Mary suddenly died. I was devastated. Since her heart was still beating with the help of a ventilator, she was a potential organ donor. She was a giving person and had wanted to be an organ donor if possible. But — even though I’m a completely secular Jew — I would not agree to organ donation unless it could be done halachically. I called a number of Orthodox rabbis here in Australia but they were not supportive of organ donation.
Finally, I found Rabbi Ralph Genende and Rabbi Moshe Gutnick who had previously been working with the Halachic Organ Donor Society and who oversaw the donation. Mary saved 6 lives. It was the first halachically approved organ donation in Australia.
Although our entire family is extremely sad, we are consoled in our grief by the 6 lives Mary saved and the lives that will be saved in the future by Jews who will now agree to organ donation because of the precedent she set. Her generous and giving spirit will live on.” Irving Laffner, Loving Husband
Q. What are financial donations used for?
A. The HOD Society is both an educational organization and an advocacy group.
The money raised is used for:
1. Delivering Lectures
2. Creating and Publishing Advertisements
3. Creating and Publishing Brochures
4. Producing Educational Videos
5. Using Social Media to Raise Awareness About Halachic Support for Organ Donation
6. Producing Events to Raise Awareness (e.g. our annual 5K race)
7. Manufacturing and Distributing Organ Donor Cards
8. Managing the Database of Organ Donor Card Members and Financial Donors
9. Consulting With Families in the Hospital Who are Not Sure if They Are Allowed to Donate
10. Recruiting Rabbis, Physicians & Women Leaders to Get Organ Donor Cards & Speak Out About It